MUSCOVY INCUBATING PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coffeepheasant, Mar 18, 2012.

1. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    I have 4 muscovies all one year old. one of the hens went missing every night for a week, so i thought is was roosting in the trees.... but i couldn't find her :'( so i followed her and found that she had a nest underneath my stables... with 15 eggs :D i was over the moon ..... but it has been 3 days and still she only incubates them at night!!!!
    Is this normal... is she just getting a clutch and then she will incubate or is she just not a very good mum???????
    Any replie would be nice as i would love to hatch some muscovies be it naturally or not!!!
    THANKS GUYS
    coffee pheasant.

2. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    One of my hens has a nest of about 15 eggs in it right now and she seems to be doing the same as yours. Im assuming she's still wanting to lay more before she settles down.

3. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Mine do the same thing and have successfully hatched clutches. I think they are just protecting them from getting too cold at night. I would let her try it naturally this time and see the result. My guess is you will have some really cute babies in about 6 weeks (allowing the one extra week for her to finish laying). I have one sitting on 17 right now and another that started sitting on 12 before another hen stole her clutch. Now a wheaten marans is setting on the 12. lol.

4. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks for ur advice.. i guess she is just finishing her clutch.. I will follow ur advice and hopefully some ducklings will appear :D
    coffee pheasant

5. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!! :)

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Mine did the same thing and then commited to the nest. Unfortunately she left the nest at day 33. Luckily I was able to save most of the eggs. It was her first time so I am going to give her another chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by