1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy, is bronze the same as sepia?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ian4379, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i've seen this discussion a few times and rather than divert from another topic i thought id start a new thread. i would love to here everyone's opinion in if they think that bronze and sepia are in fact the same gene or two different genes

the bronze or sepia debate is interesting. i have seen discussions that the leg colouring might be the difference between the two, yellow meaning sepia, bronze tinting meaning bronze?

wild type and atipico may effect the colouring.

out of the few shades of bronze that i have here, two have lots of green sheening to their back feathers, yellow legs and the "red lipstick" on their beaks. the other has almost no green sheen, more a milk chocolate shade with a plain pink beak, no "red lipstick". does this mean two different genes of simply just two different variations of the colour, similar to a dark and light blue?

bronze drake with "red lipstick"
    [​IMG]

bronze duck, no "red lipstick", hardly and green sheen at the front. rear is a darker bronze
    [​IMG]

young bronze barred duck around 5 months.
    [​IMG]

so i guess the question is, looking at the four different colours above, is one sepia, is one bronze, or are they all the same?

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    No bronze is not the same as sepia. Sepia is a Khaki color that effects the skin, bronze is a dark .. well.. bronze that only effects feather color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by