muscovy - is she broody or not??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Aug 3, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a young muscovy who seems to have made a nest (she got straw together in a nice round pile, made it to her shape then lined it with her fluffy feathers) she then, over a few days, laid 6 eggs in the nest (2 broke so i removed the messy bit)

any how everytime i got out shes never on the nest, always outside with the others dabbling about the pond, ive seen her sitting 2 in 4 days for about an hour thats it.

so is she broody and just inexperienced?? or not broody and i should take the other eggs away...?

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

She doesn't sound broody at this time to me. If she starts peeping at you and hunching her shoulders/putting her head down as she walks around, then she close to being broody. If she is just sitting for an hour or so a day.....def. not broody. How old is she?

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    she is just 30 weeks old, still young.
    do they make nests with feathers then without going broody?

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Yes, they do. They want a nice spot for there eggs, weither they sit or not. I would keep taking her eggs. When she does become broody she won't leave that nest hardly ever.

5. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Don't take the eggs. Leave them alone. Muscovies will lay an egg per day, for about 12-20 days. I've had a muscovy set on 27 eggs once. During the duration of her lay, she almost completely ignores the nest except to lay in it. The rest of the time, you'll notice her on 'dates' with the drake that catches her fancy. For the last 3-4 days that she lays, she will line the nest with LOTS of feathers and become VERY Protective of it, eventually 'locking on' to the nest and going broody. But, she won't start setting the nest until she's good and ready. If she did, each egg would be at a different point of incubation.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I agree with Caprice_Acres.
    When she goes broody at the time of having a full nest, her voice will also change - louder and more high pitched. And she'll become a little snappy at anyone who is around her nest [​IMG]

I notice my scovie goes broody about 2 days before she'll sit on her nest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by