Muscovy issues....help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gibney5, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Gibney5

Gibney5 In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    I have been reading all about how ducks can get niacin deficient and I suspect that may be the case with my eight week old Muscovy ducklings. I have five that hatched the first week of May and I kept them on medicated chick starter for the first month. The last few weeks they have been free ranging and getting scratch feed. About a ten days ago one just suddenly couldn't walk, followed by two more a day later. The other two seem to be fine. They are eating, drinking and scooting around in the pen, but just can't stand. For the last week I have been giving them a liquid vitamin supplement and medicated turkey starter. The parents are three years old and I have never had a problem like this before. Hatched six healthy babies last year.
    So here's my question.....If it is a vitamin deficiency how long will it take for them to get better? I am quickly getting discouraged! They look so pitiful!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

They can hold their heads up fine? Want to rule out a toxin. Are you giving them liquid B complex? that is what you need and can't be watered down when they already have a problem. Give each duckling 1ml over something tasty like peas or meal worms only enough that they will eat the whole treat b complex an all right down. It can take a week or more depending on how long this has been going on.

Gibney5 likes this.
  3. Gibney5

Gibney5 In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    Thank you so much for your advice! I will try that! The one with the white head and the light brown one are fine, the other three can't walk. Never had any problems with my batch of babies last summer!

ducklings.jpg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

They are beautiful ducks. Please let us know how they are doing.

Gibney5 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: