muscovy juvie pics?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KAKBucks, Jul 4, 2008.

1. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Anyone know of a good place to see pictures of juvenile muscovies? Mine are JUST starting to develop caruncles, and I'm curious if there is a pattern of development that would let me start to sex them.

Also, those of you with scovies. What age do they generally start to fly?

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Sorry I can't help you with the pictures...
    You can usually start to tell by their size. The males will be larger.. hens are petite with small heads and very little red on their faces... the males can sure get well you know ugly!....
    Also my hens will fly a little to get over the fence or across the backyard. The males get too heavy to fly....
    I love the looks and personalities of mine.
    Right now I have a hen and her 7 babies in a pen..they catch flies and are so fun to watch...
    when I was a kid we had muscovies who liked to loaf and roost on our porch. My mom would take a bucket of water and broom and clean it off daily...
    I swore I would never have those kind of ducks!
    Never say never....

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Size is a sure way to tell who is who. The males are way bigger, and their legs are usually twice as thick as the females. I have one white female that has the carnacule on her face, but it is really just a flat piece of red skin. My male had them around his eyes and also in various places on his neck. We thought there was something wrong with him until we caught him and actually seen them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by