1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy keepers! What color did I end up with??? with pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Hello! We have three muscovys, a "blue" drake (big boy) a blue duck (little miss) and a pied black (Wendy). Earlier this year one of our chickens hatched out two of Wendy/Big boy's babies. About two weeks later, on May 10th Wendy hatched out 7 ducklings, but lost two and then left the rest. So the little banty hen got all 7 babies. She has recently given up on her brooding duties and we have moved them out to their own pen. The youngest ones would be 5 weeks old, the oldest ones 6-7 weeks ( I forgot to write down when they hatched)

Anyway I am curious what color these are going to end up being? The dark ones seem to be blue, but the white/light ones? No clue, but I love the color, whatever it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wendy with her 7 when they first hatched.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lacey the banty hen with her two when they first hatched
    [​IMG]

edited to add some pictures of the dad ( Big Boy)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I wish I was better with muscovy colors. I hope someone who has better experience will chime in

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I see Blacks, a Blue & i think those light ones will turn Silver after their juvenile molt, they always look a little "beige-ish" when they first start to feather in, does that sound right? It's hard to tell for sure in pics!

That biggest Silver one is so pretty! [​IMG]

4. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Really silver? I will go look that up, not sure I have seen it before, do we agree the dad is blue? Or is there another name for that color.

Really could use some help with these colors? Has no one seen this color before?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yes, dad looks Blue [​IMG] And if he had the ducklings with the Blue hen that would increase the chances of Silver ducklings.

6. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    No the mom is a black and white pied hen. Our blue hen sat on eggs twice but both times gave up before the time was up. I am hoping for a clutch from both this fall. Anyone have pictures of silvers? I think I will post the pics on the muscovy forum and see if anyone there has some silvers. I didn't see silver on feathersite.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by