muscovy male duck feet frozen help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vbbgranch, Jan 2, 2017.

1. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    can somone tell me how ro warm a ducks feet?? my male muscovy has frozen feet not frost bitten normal color but he cant move them and he is hobbling, i held him close to me so his feet could warm up but they are still froze. what can i do someone please help :( i just lost his mate today as well i dont want to lose him. i did lay straw down as my other ducks were fine in the snow and their feet are not frozen but his are so i laid straw down immediately for all of them. this is the first ever harsh winter ive had during owning ducks. we have more snow than last year:(

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Ducks are usually very cold-hardy, and their feet don't have blood vessels, so that's why they can swim in cold water. Your drake's feet probably don't feel a lot of pain, or even all that cold. I recommend soaking his feet in warm water and then keeping him inside on straw until he gets back on his feet. Good luck!

3. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    Reply thank you I brought him in for the evening to warm up and his feet thawed out and he began to use them. But he won't stand on them and my mom won't let me keep him in the house so I'm thinking maybe I can put a heat lamp on him

4. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    A heat lamp will be fine. Make sure to have lots of straw and maybe soak his feet once in a while.

5. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    thank you ive been beinging him inside in the morning to thaw his feet out but i now have him insode for a few hours to get him back to normal and then put him back out in the straw bed for the night he keeps getting frozen feet and im praying that he will be okay once hes unthawed and in an enclosed area for the night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by