Muscovy male not cleaning himself

katieaj

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I have recently rescued an adult muscovy duck ( Travis) who has been kept in a small cage all his life with no water to wash in.
I put travis on my pond with the other ducks but he doesn't seem to know how to swim, he just flaps his wings across the water until he's at the shore. More recently i have noticed that he is getting increasing dirty, his gland near his tail is bright orange and i have never seen him groom himself which i find odd. Today when i went to feed the ducks Travis was hunched in a corner outside the duck house looking very unwell and shivering and as picked him up he was soaking wet (it was raining quite badly last night but sunny today so should have dried) I have set up an area indoors for him and towel dried him as he is just so cold and wet, but im not sure what to do with him from here. I don't want to put him outside incase it rains and he becomes worse. I also worry that because he isn't cleaning himself he isn't waterproof?? I'm not sure from what age he was put in a cage, it may have been from hatching so maybe his mother never taught him. Please help!

he will learn from the other duck on what to do you just need to put a heat light in the duck coop for a night make him go in and lock him up he should be fine i just went threw the same thing with one of my ducks being soaking wet and that is what i did

He probably is really lacking in weatherproofing because of no bathing water, while Muscovy are less "waterproof" than mallard derived, they still have some, is his oil gland ok??. What are you temps? Kind of you to take him, that is sad... he was kept in such a way, while my scovies are not water hogs they definitely enjoy a bit to puddle about in.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom