Muscovy, male or female?

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
Any idea what this is? It is at least 4 to 5 months old.

It looks femaleish to me, if you look at the back of the tail. Males and flat and females are pointed. Males are much bigger then females

Without seeing the tail I would say female too. Males have an almost rectangler looking flat tail where the females are more pointy than rectangler. As someone else said males are really stocky where females are quite slender.

That tail from the pic looks female. See how it seems to go down into a point. A male will be a lot wider. I will see if i can find the post on here that has pics of my around the same age girls and post the link for you so you can see.

Here is was a lot younger when we got it with another one from a farm when it was a few weeks old earlier this summer. I lost the other one and at the time this one was the bigger one of the two. Have no idea what happened to the other one, it went from running and playing in the yard to dead in an hour.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't a female. What I can see of the legs, they don't look big enough to be a drake. And at that age, it should have more caruncles if it was a drake. I'm gonna bet even money it's a hen.

Looks totally hen. The head and neck are smaller than that of a drake, and the legs are not as thick as a drake, and she is also on the petite size. Hope you were expecting female!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom