1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Male Problems!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crafty-Duck, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I turn on my male duck!!! is this normal? do other Muscovy keepers ever have this problem? it's like every time I go out to see him he acts like he wants to mate with me! then finally he goes off and mates the female muscovy.

It sounds funny but it really is getting annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just like to know if anyone else has faced this problem???

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    He sees you as part of the flock. This is behavior is not uncommon when keeping birds. Does he bite you when trying to mate?

3. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Yes he does bite me when trying to mate!!!! that's why I wear boots to protect my ankles.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How long has he been doing this? You have have to show him who's in charge to so he understand that he can not mount you.

5. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    He has been doing this for a few years now and when I try to push him off he gets MAD! and starts biting harder and relentless.When he isn't in the mood he is as sweet as ever!!! how do I show him who's in charge?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by