muscovy male ? will they protect my chickens too

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coo coo cachoo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. coo coo cachoo

coo coo cachoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    i had a chiwawa attack last week and the chiwawa killed 12 small chickens and a hen. we also have 2 female Muscovy ducks and the dog did not bother the ducks. i have heard the male Muscovy are protective of there flock. will they protect the chickens also . but does it come at a price will the male attack me and my kids?

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Are they freerange? My cousin has muscovys and various chickens that are. They normally aren't in the same yard together. I sometimes herd a chicken or duck into a large dog pen we have to pick one up every once in a while, sometimes you just get an urge to hold a chicken/duck.[​IMG] Don't every see Big Daddy when the chickens start chattering, but if i've herded a duck in there and he's around, he usually waddles over to see whats goin on, he doesn't come after me or anything. Maybe he's just laid back because of the roosters, but he doesn't seem to care about the chickens at all.

3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    My muscovy drake doesn't care about anything but his muscovy girls. He's a big bully to the other ducks. I wouldn't imagine he'd care one way or the other about chickens, except maybe to try and bully them too. [​IMG]

4. coo coo cachoo

coo coo cachoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    thanks i guess that answers my question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by