Muscovy molting now, normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petjem, Dec 11, 2012.

1. petjem

petjem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Greece, EU
    My female muscovy seems to be molting. She loses some of her body feathers (not flight feathers). I think she also molted some of her tail feathers. Every day I find new feathers dropped in their pen and coop. Isn't it too early for her to molt? She is 5 months old and the weather is quite cold here at this season, about 46-48 F during daylight and about 40 F at night. They never fight or pick on each other with her mate and I always use some powder for parasites when I change the straw in their coop so I'm pretty sure it's nothing like that. Is this normal at this season? I guess she is close to laying age and she might be getting ready for it after she finishes her molt? [​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The 40's isn't that cold. I'm like 19 today lol I did have my one do a molt in early Nov I about croaked since we were coming into a cold season, i noticed the boys are doing a touch of one too(these are mature drakes) right now as the telltale feathers are about and no they aren't fighting.. but it's not major probably just getting some better feathers for the upcoming winter. Technically, it is still fall...

I think at least for here our up/down temps played a role.. in one week we could be in the 60's and then drop down to the 40's-30's.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by