1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy mom lost all of her babies... when will she start over?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gator113, May 12, 2011.

1. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I am still a rookie to most of this stuff.

One of our Muscovy ducks hatched her first batch of eggs, about 6 days ago. She had 15 new babies. On their first walk with mom, one was taken by a crow. I was only 20' away, but there was nothing I could do.

Yesterday, while within their predator proof yard, a few of our chickens (all layer hens) made it into their fenced area. The chickens had not been a problem before. I had been with them, but I had to go into the house for about an hour. When I returned, the chickens had killed all but 3 of the babies. I'm a tough guy, but seeing 11 dead baby duckies about floored me. I immediately decided to raise the 3 that survived in a box in the house. The poor mom spent much of the next few hours searching the yards calling for and looking for her babies.

What I would like to know is............. about when might I expect her to go back to starting another family?

She's already being bred, as one of our two drakes has already chased her down and raped her, twice. I was about to make this drake into dog food, but I then read that this is common for Muscovies. Perhaps I'll get used to it, but I sure hate this part of the experience.

Thank you,

Dan

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Oh no! That's awful [​IMG]

In response to when will she start again, it's quite difficult to say I think. She may decide to replace the clutch she's now lost straight away, or maybe she'll have been put off the idea and won't go again for a while...

The whole raping thing is very common amongst ducks and is really not nice to see, but it's just what they do I guess! [​IMG]

3. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Thank you, Adam.

FYI, today I ordered 2 Indian Runner Ducks, a male and female. They hatch on Monday. ;>) I looked at the pic's on your link.... those guys look so cool!

Quote:

Last edited: May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by