Muscovy moving an egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by toby1959, Jul 20, 2011.

1. toby1959

toby1959 Out Of The Brooder

I have a young Muscovy hen (about 8 months) that has been sitting on 14 eggs for 10 days. Last night I saw her going through the yard with an egg in her mouth. She carried the egg all the way to the lake which is over 100 yards and deposited it on the edge of the water. She then broke the egg and ate the contents. She then went back to the eggs and has been sitting fine since then. What the HAY?

2. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'm new to owning ducks and have never seen my dad's hen do anything like that. but they seem to be pretty smart, could she maybe have known it wasn't a good egg?

3. toby1959

toby1959 Out Of The Brooder

Bad egg is what I thought but I never saw a bird carry off the "bad egg". Ate it for good measure too:sick

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    How odd! Whenever mine get bad eggs, they just roll it out of the nest. I'll got out and there will be a random egg laying off to the side.
    I've never heard of them carrying them off and eating them!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    OCD duck? Not enough to remove it from the nest, it must be obliterated from the face of the earth.

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i've had ducks carry eggs 20 odd metres from the coop to my pond and eat it too! most just kick out the dodgy ones though.

7. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We just had an appleyard take one egg from the nest and deposit it in the pool.

Must have known.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by