Muscovy mule?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    How can tell if I have a mule?
    I was given this Muscovy last summer and it has grown up with the others in the Muscovy pen but it seems to stay away from them some. It picks up Muscovy friends while out free ranging or another girls may be hanging out with it sometimes but I can't tell if it is boy or girl or if it is a drake mule.
    I have never seen it try to mount any girls like Herman, my big chocolate drakes does or Lance, my lavender drake is doing.
    However, it's face hasn't much caruncle as my others do at the same age, boys or girls.

At first we thought it was a girl as the legs are not as thick as any of my other Muscovy boys, nor is it the size of my Muscovy boys. However, my Herman does not like it and will chase it back when they coop up at night and I have never seen Herman treat this one like he does his other girls.

Do I have to wait to see if it lays an egg? And if it does, I know that will mean girl but then do I check for a bulls eye to see if it has been fertilized to know if it is a mule?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this one is for sure a girl and is about 6 months older than the one above.

[​IMG]

But comparing the legs on both they look the same. However, the top two photos show the lack of caruncle and if it is a girl, why does Herman not like her? He loves his other ladies.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    She looks pure muscovy to me. The feet- and body shape indicate it- but also mules do also usually have the look of a crossbred, not quite the shape of say- a pekin but still with the resmblance of the muscovy too- but no caruncles.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She looks pure Muscovy to me too. very pretty,

4. Addicted2Quack

Addicted2Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    I will have to agree, she looks like a muskovy to me also. She is from another line than yours so her quality,size will be different. But she is sure cute![​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 3 Mucovy girls that are all the same age and one of them barely has any carnicles and the other 2 are just starting to get them, they are almost 7 months old. I guess just like drakes they can be at various amounts of carnicling[sp] My girls looks alot like yours in that department, she is fawm/white. I'll try to get a close up of her tomorrow. But your girl is pure Muscovy.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Thank you all. [​IMG]
    I just don't understand why Herman does not like her? He has never liked her though he does not hurt her. She grew up with all the others and he accepts them but he just makes meany faces at her and keeps her away from the flock a bit. I tried moving her over to another pen with other nice Muscovy but she only stayed 2 days and then flew back into Herman's pen. I understand her flock mentality so left her.

She just looks different and as you say, she isn't from the same bloodlines. She's a real sweetie but I think all my Muscovy are. I just want her to be loved as part of the flock.

Of all the things I have to stress over on my farm and I worry over a kid that isn't even overly abused. Geez! I am such a softie! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by