Muscovy nesting question..how many eggs can I expect her to lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Well,My little Squeaks isn't so little anymore,and he doesn't squeak now! [​IMG]

anyway he and Rosilee have been stuck to each other like glue for the past few weeks [​IMG]

well, the other day i found out where she's hidden her nest, behind the house in the pen, she had 4 eggs(I took one this morning and cracked it, it was fertile! [​IMG] )

they must be nocturnal breeders [​IMG] [​IMG]

so how many eggs can I expect her to lay before she starts to brood?? [​IMG]

2. Chicken Kisses

Chicken Kisses Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Georgia
    Mine laid about 6...

3. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I had them lay 14 to 20 eggs. I have one next now with 8 eggs and 1 with 5 eggs. Hope for setting soon!!!! De

4. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    my muscovy lay anywhere from 12 to 20 eggs before they go to setting,if you take the eggs they keep trying to hide and relay the cluth.

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

How old do Muscovies need to be before they start laying? Do they lay before their faces get the red carnuckling?

6. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Mine have started laying at less than a year. can't remember exactly, but 6-9 months old.

7. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    She's got 5 eggs of her own right now, plus a sixth egg that showed up in her nest this afternoon :hmm I think someone got sneaky [​IMG]

I'm hoping that she doesn't lay too many [​IMG] baby muscovies are cute, buuutt since I doubt any would be staying, gack [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by