Muscovy Noises.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nes, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Lately every time I crouch down near him my largest Muscovy boy comes over waggling his tail, stretching his neck and now he's making this strange sort of thumping noise.

Is he being aggressive?
    Looking for food?
    Or putting the moves on me? [​IMG]

They are tame, but not tamed, I don't think he's being aggressive, but this is new behaviour (his girls are usually around where he is though so he could be defending them I guess).

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could be some of all 3, is he young and just starting to feel his hormones? My young drake 5months does the same thing, and has his wings kinda streched out, He has attacked me but now he mostly just makes all the moves but doesn't attack and he is very tame. I think they are waitng to see what our next move will be, sometimes I will make mine walk away by walking towards him, just to back him down some and let him know I am in charge not him.

3. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    He's around 6 months.

It's more of a side-ways shuffle stretching his neck back & forth. Doesn't put his wings out.
    And he only does it when I crouch down, as soon as I stand up he runs away.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Sounds like he's courting you. Mine always get a lot closer when I crouch down too. I think it makes them less uncomfortable because the size difference isn't quite so intimidating. I wouldn't worry unless he's trying to jump on you or grabbing you with his bill.

5. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I am enjoying my first ever Muscovies...I have had them about six months and they are the funniest things...they make the strangest noises...and I love the "hair" standing up on the head thing...
    I have a duck who has 11 little guys and she makes all sorts of clucks and squeaks and funny noises when they are grazing and feeding...the babies are stuck to her like glue even tho they are several weeks old and beginning to really feather out...this is the first time ever I have had a duck raise her own little brood and it has been awesome to observe...
    And the dad, ole big foot, is endearing...

I think your drake may be a bit flirtatious if he is "coming of age." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by