Muscovy not able to walk, joints cant support weight.

K4zn4v3

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
One of my muscovy's started limping really bad last week. I checked the leg for breaks and couldnt feel anything so I passed it off a sprain. I put her in her own pen so she wouldnt get trampled. Today she started limping with both legs. Its to the point where she can barely walk at all. She flaps her wings to get around but other than that its more of a crawl. When I watch her try to walk, as soon as she goes to put weight on the leg, the joint bends and she falls down. I thought I read something about this somewhere but I cant remember where. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows whats going on?

Quote:
I wish i could help, my old drake started limping a couple of months ago and after checking him out feet and legs, I felt he had probably jump from the top of the pool instead of using the ramp to come down and probably sprained his leg, I started giving him and the rest poultry Nutri Drench in their water everyday for about a month straight because my other ducks and chickens were going through molt also, he is up and walking alot better now, He is heavy which doesn't help with his legs either, but i can tell a big difference in him, I was worried we were going to have to put him down. Now I give the Nutri Drench every 3rd night, the other nights they get ACV one night and Oxine ah the other. Maybe it would be worth a try to give her some, couldn't hurt.
fl.gif
I'll go get the info on NDand you can get it online or at TSC http://barnyardsandbackyards.org/2010/09/18/review-nutri-drench/

Last edited:
Ditto Miss Lydia and if there is some way to get him into some lukewarm water for an extended float, that will take some pressure off the legs. I have read ducks can get arthritis. There are also microbial diseases that can cause painful joints and muscles.

Has anything changed around your place? Has he behaved differently in other ways?

Quote:
Muscovies especially drakes are heavy and when they jump down off of things they can injure themselves, so maybe she jumped down and landed wrong. Hoping you soon can find a way to help her. How is she today?

Back
Top Bottom