1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy....Or....Cayuga?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamG347, Feb 28, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Which would be better for the backyard? I want a bird that has the following characteristics...

Doesn't make too much of a mess
    Can live with my chickens
    Lays eggs and can be used for meat
    Can roam around the yard and come back to the coop
    Can avoid neighbhorhood dog
    Friendly and Quiet

I was just visiting with a friend today that had a trio fo Cayugas. They are awesome and very quiet. But also love scovys.
    HELP PLEASE
    [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Mallards. They lay green eggs and can be used for meat, but it has a gamey taste. They are very self-sufficient.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    well both breeds are good for what you want but withthe dog i think he could get both or the muscoveys would fly away from the dog if they werent to heavy . All ducks are messy

4. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    The dog is just this fat little female dog that walks around. She killed some juvenile pheasants that got out of my one pen but that was it. I might just keep them in the pen. Mallards are way too loud for my neighbhor. And I don't really mind the mess....just thinking about the chickens.
    [​IMG]

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Your description is Scovies, all the way! And you know I love em. [​IMG]

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Muscoveys are selent except for a hiss every now and then . Go with them but stick with the solid colors . I dont like pieds but that is just me

7. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Muscovys sound good for you,
    they are good meat birds and also have the light skin. and they lay lots of eggs.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Sam, your wish list is the same as mine! Do all muscovies have that blistery red beaky thing?

9. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovies all they way!

They are VERY quiet, and only make this "chirp" once in awhile.

They lay lots of eggs, and if you let them keep their own eggs they will set and hatch out their own babies, they are awesome parents!

Muscovies are better at coming back to their pen then my chickens! And I let my Muscovies free roam every day and only lock them up at night, they are very good at getting away from Predators, because the females love you "fly around" more than "fly away"

They are awesome meat ducks also! If you are looking for Muscovies for meat, I suggest J.M Hatchery, the males from them grow like weeds! My drake was 10lbs in about 5 months.

Best Of Luck [​IMG]

-Austin

10. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks everyone! I found a member with some scovy eggs...and snatched them up!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by