muscovy or pekin as a pet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 22, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    ok so after some research i'm down to a muscovy or a pekin to be my pet duck. do both make equally good pets as for as friendlyness and liking to be handled when raised from a day or 2 old goes? i'm leaning towards muscovy because they aren't very noisy but i want to make sure that breed is as sociable and as good a pet as i've heard pekins are. any opinions?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have never had a pekin and am new to muscovies, but I really really like them and living in the city, quiet is an added bonus. Now if only they weren't so messy...

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Muscovy for sure!

Mine love to be petted. In fact, my big ol drake meets me at the gate when I get home from work and he wants to tell me all about his day (huff. huff. huff. huff.) and complain about the bossy geese (huff. huff. huff. huff) and laugh about the silly runners (huffhuffhuffhuff.)

They're super quiet since they only make huffing (drake) or trilling (duck) noises and are very affectionate by nature.[​IMG]

4. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:I can find day old pekins but having a hard time finding any day old muscovy's for sale [​IMG]

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:I recommend JM Hatchery for the Muscovy. They have the best birds I've ever seen.

6. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Is there a personality difference between a regular muscovy and a white muscovy breed or is it just called white because of the color?

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Well,just like any animal, all of them have slightly different personalities but you shouldn't find any real difference based solely on color.

8. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Lol wasn't sure cuz I found muscovy ducklings and then white muscovy's so wasn't sure if it was a different muscovy breed lol. Can you tell i'm new at this [​IMG]

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    This place has them too. http://www.ridgwayhatchery.com/ I don't know where you're located but they allow pick up and you don't have to buy the minimum if you pick them up.

10. mickt

mickt Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Would have to be a muscovy they are great [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by