Muscovy owners, can you sex these for me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ravie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I would also love to know what color these are. These guys showed up on a friend's property and she is going to give them to me. I am beyond excited. I am really hoping one of these birds is a drake. I assume their color is chocolate, but I am not sure if the silvery one is also chocolate.

Lastly, I am getting a bunch of Welsh Harlequin ducklings from Holderread. Do you think the Muscovies will breed them, or will they stay within their group. I know Muscovies CAN mate with ducks, but will they if they have other options?[​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    The two in the back look like drakes. I want to say the two in front are females but it is hard to tell. Is there any way you can get individual pics of them? As for the color I am not sure. PM Bleenie she can help for sure. They are beautiful congrats!

3. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    they all look like drakes to me! i'm no expert with the chocolate colouring but i'm thinking the two at the front are blue fawn, not sure on the silver one,it looks to have a chocolate tint,its hard to tell from the pic. could be silver/chocolate, ? the back one is chocolate.

i'd guess that a young muscovy drake would'nt care what breed of duck he was trying to mate with, mine have tried it on the chickens! muscovy crosses are infertile as well just in case you didnt know.

4. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Oh no! I can handle two drakes, but I am not sure 4 would be a good idea!

Especially if I'm trying to keep my WH line pure.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats probably why they just happened to show up at your friends someone getting rid of too many drakes. They are gorgeous though and if you can't keep them i hope ya'll can find them a forever home.

6. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    They all look like drakes to me and Muscovy drakes will mate with anything they can.

Walt

7. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    No, no no. You must all be wrong. They're all girls. Really. Girls. Every one of them. Female!

If only saying it could make it so....I want to cry. Maybe I can go see them tomorrow and take some pictures...

8. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    It is really difficult to tell at that distance, although the two nearest the camera look to have quite large legs, which would be a giveaway for a male

And then havinhg said that the three where you can see their carunkles look to have developed quite heavily across their nose, again suggesting males

Cant see their claws, which are usually longer, although thats due to their size...

As someone else suggested, no wonder they 'turned up'

You might try the free ads, or if you are up to it, the dinner table???

Dont hit me?!?!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by