Muscovy pair showing no signs of mating or sexual interest atall!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dannyj1991, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dannyj1991

dannyj1991 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    so i have a muscovy duck about 1.5yo laying eggs great broody duck, and a drake about 8 months old, and he is showing no signs of wanting to mate at all, its coming into spring now and its warming up they should be showing signs of mating no? im getting pretty angry with the drake as all he does it eat and follow my duck around not doing his job! i have tried alot of things even spliting them up day and night to re unite them the ext day, alot of noise and fluttering and abit of neck pecking but no attempt to mount atall. even in the pool together nothing. I am starting to think hes not up to the task and i may think hard on getting another drake and knocking this one of. please any advice is welcomed don't comment please unless it is advice.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't give up on the drake. It may be that you just aren't seeing him mount the hen. My birds (I have chickens) rarely mount their hens when I'm around.

3. dannyj1991

dannyj1991 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    i did think this, but a clutch of eggs just 2 days ago that had been sat on for about 10 days were all dud

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by