Muscovy question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amarisus, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Hey there everyone, I have a question that may be stupid but these are my first muscovies and I don't know too much. I have two Muscovy ducks I THINK (emphasis on think) I have a male and a female. I'm not sure on age but I think there about 4 months or so. One is bigger and has more noticeable red on his face. But when startled they both raise the feathers on their head. I know the males with have the crests on their head that raise up and down. Can females do it too? Or do I have two males?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, females can do that too.

3. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Oh good, I think I have a pair then. Here's a pic of them maybe someone more experienced can tell me for sure. The one that has more white is the one that I'm pretty sure is male.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

This is just my opinion, they're both girls

5. Buck Oakes

I luv your signature by the way

6. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Thanks :) Really two females? I've never had muscovies before so I really don't know :/ Anyone have pictures of 4 month old or younger ducks of different genders for comparison? Thanks for all the responses so far :)

7. Buck Oakes

i have some but no recent pis, ill try to take a picture tomorrow :)

8. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    You don't have a pair, that's for sure. Without reference it's hard to be 100% but I would also guess two females. At four months the males will be much bigger than the females. Also the females will be more nervous, males around 5 months will be ready to interact with you.

9. Buck Oakes

Well, some females ( If you know raised by themselves or just in a group of girls) In my case are very affectionate through out their lic\ves, if they are raised with boys they pretty much just lay back and let the boys do the sucking up to mom [​IMG]

10. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    They are both pretty skittish, but I didn't have them until they were about a month, I've had them for about 3 months now. The size difference is very slight as with the face crauncles (spelling?) One could be a little older for all I know. When I got them they both had some fuzz still, the smaller one had a little more fuzz than the bigger one. I'm ok with two females though I prefer it over two males lol! Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by