1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bheila, Nov 10, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I just bought chickens from someone who I noticed had some muscovy crosses. She said that the guy she bought them from told her they were 14 months old and purebred muscovies. My question is don't muscovies always have that skin on their face if they are purbred? Sorry I can't remember what you call it. Hers were supposed to be pure white but I also notice that they had a few black and gray feathers on their heads.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    muscovies come in all sorts of colors and pattern from black to white. The thing are called caruncles and they should have them, some have more than others. here is a pic of my three females, the boys have a even redder more caruncled face. I think the girls are downright cute with their dainty little feet and sweet faces.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and both sexes have longer feathers on top oftheir heads that they can rise , its their crest. You can see it on my chocolate muscovy in the back.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

All my white ones have a little black on the top of there head, some more than others, just like momma duck. Could be in the breeding.

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    They should have some sighn of the red stuff (dunno how to spell it )

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    My boy Muscoveys don't seem interested in my Khaki Campbells. But I do have a juvenile from the muscovey mom that is part Mallard or something. I don't have mallards or any other male duck![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Thanks for the responses! I thought that I was right but I just wanted to be sure before I broke the news to her for sure. Am I also correct to tell her that they are sterile? It's too bad that there are idiots that take advantage of other people who just aren't as educated in some breeds.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    if they are mixed they are sterile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by