Muscovy question

Dane acres

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,
I am new to the forum but I thought I would ask this question since it seems to be muscovy friendly. One of our muscovy hens just hatched 12 babbies and we won't be keeping them. We plan to leave them with mom for a couple weeks untill they get bigger. What is the usual time to let them grow before selling/trading/giving them away ?
Thanks

12 babies would definitely be quite a lot to keep! :p I can't offer advice from much experience but the youngest I've bought them at was 2.5 months, by which time they were very much independent and fully feathered, though they did get picked on a bit by my existing flock. So I'd guess that by around 1.5-2 months old they would be alright away from their mothers.

Some people like to buy new borns too, so you could sell them even now, just depends on your preference. They will sell for more the older they are

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I was just looking for a general consensus. I figure the longer we left them with mom the better the chance they would survive in the long run.

Thanks for the responses. I was just looking for a general consensus. I figure the longer we left them with mom the better the chance they would survive in the long run.
welcome-byc.gif

Are you going to keep any? my last ones from the year before were a few months, i kinda like 8wks or so by then there fully feathered and you definitely know the colour path and sex.

I have 4 five week olds right now, three are drakes and cannot stay but i don't want to leave their sister alone so i'll likely wait a few more weeks. I think it also depends on the mama, right now i could sell all 4 she wouldn't care whereas the duck last year? HA she freaked even when the first left at a few months old lol

We already have 14 but I am sure my wife won't let all of these new babies go. Thanks for the input. Eight weeks seems to be a reasonable age.

We already have 14 but I am sure my wife won't let all of these new babies go. Thanks for the input. Eight weeks seems to be a reasonable age.

LOL.. it's hard, for myself i have no choice but to kick the extra boys out the door, i know all to well what happens when things get to drakey

Back
Top Bottom