Muscovy Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rilly10, Jul 4, 2011.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    We are finally almost done clearing out and leveling a backyard!!! We live in the woods so this was quite a feat! Anyways, next we are putting up a 4ft fence with boxwire and toprails, and seeding the lawn. The fenced in area will be pretty large prob a 1/4 acre and I am really wanting some ducks. I would like to get a decent amount of eggs so was thinking 2-3 ducks and maybe a drake. With this many how many eggs/week could I expect? Are muscovys decent layers? I know they are not going to lay like a campbell or anything, but I would like fresh eggs.

So my main questions are:

How many eggs can I expect in a week from 3 hens?
    Do muscovys eat ticks?
    Will they be able to get over a 4ft fence? If so will clipped wings keep them in?
    How many square feet will 3-4 adults need in a shed? I want to lock them in at night for protection.
    Will 3-4 scovys totally slop up 1/4 acre?

Thanks so much for any help! I am totally new to ducks!

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Im pretty sure that Muscovys are seasonal layers, mine seem to be anyways, they only usually lay in the spring..

My muscovys do eat bugs, I have seen them snatch flies out of the air..

A 4ft fence will not contain them, mine fly onto the roof of my house daily..Wind clipping will help I hear although I never clip my scovies wings.

Not sure how much room they need inside, I have a bunch so I have several housing options for them...if they even decide to go in at all [​IMG]

I would think that a 1/4 acre would be plenty, I have 30+ scovies and they free range along with my 50ish chickens + eight geese and my cleared 1/2 acre yard is fine, they do have tons of woods to go in however...

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

How many eggs can I expect in a week from 3 hens? It depends on the weather & their age. On average, I'd say you'd get 2-3 eggs/day per duck if it's not too hot out and it's laying season...and if they are younger.

Do muscovys eat ticks? Yes and mice and grasshoppers, flies, mosquitoes, pretty much everything.
    Will they be able to get over a 4ft fence? If so will clipped wings keep them in? Some lines will fly, others will not. I have two pens and i have to clip one wing on every bird in one of the pens and never in the other...so I would say yes to be on the safe side.
    How many square feet will 3-4 adults need in a shed? I want to lock them in at night for protection. I keep trios & quads in a 16' x 16' area at night. I would say that's MINIMUM.
    Will 3-4 scovys totally slop up 1/4 acre? Probably not...but they'll have their favorite spots that might be nasty.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Oh and yes--they are seasonal layers. Mine start about April or May and lay through mid-October or so.

5. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Quote:Thanks so much! That is very helpful!! You are first on my list for eggs! I love lilac and chocolates. I will have to wait for next year though as I want everything to be ready and the lawn established.

One more question...do muscovys swim much? We are thinking of adding a pond at some point but probably not for at least another year...would a kiddie pool do? I have heard some scovys like them, others not so much.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    4 foot fence probably won't keep muskovies in and it won't keep any kind of predator out.

If you like Muskovies, plan on clipping wing feathers and do a bit of study on what type of preditors you have in your area and how to keep them away from your ducks.

If you simply like large ducks and want ducks that don't fly, have nice temperaments, and lay lots of eggs, take a close look at the Silver Appleyard.

Muskovies have the very real advantage of being quiet. If you want Moskovies, you can make it work.

There is a typo in previous post. You aren't going to get 2-3 eggs per day per duck.

7. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks! I really want scovys due to them being quiet. The fence will be a daytime barrier, but they will be locked up at night in a smaller area with a shed that will be predator proof. We are in the woods so don't have a hawk problem, just raccoons, and other nighttime pests to worry about. I just don't want them to have free range of the property due to having horses and goats that like to chase anything smaller than them [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks so much! That is very helpful!! You are first on my list for eggs! I love lilac and chocolates. I will have to wait for next year though as I want everything to be ready and the lawn established.

One more question...do muscovys swim much? We are thinking of adding a pond at some point but probably not for at least another year...would a kiddie pool do? I have heard some scovys like them, others not so much.

I sold all of my chocolates this weekend. [​IMG] I do have lavenders & silvers, still. [​IMG] I have a $10 Wal-Mart kiddie pool and they do just fine with that during the summer

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yeah I meant 2-3 eggs per day, if each duck is laying. [​IMG] When I had 10 ducks, I was getting 7-10 eggs per day when they were in their prime. They are VERY good layers and even better brooders. [​IMG]

10. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I still love the lilacs, and the silvers sure are pretty too [​IMG] Hopefully you will be offering them still next spring when I have everything ready [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by