Muscovy questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by apbgv, Aug 17, 2008.

1. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    My new gang is doing great, but I am so use to the constant motion of the chickens, is it normal they spend most of their time just hanging out? They come out eat, drink, stand in the big water bowl I have for em. Check things out and go hang out under the tree. In the evening they go out survey the yard test their wings, they are going to get their wings trimmed, can't have em flying off into other peoples yards.
    The only duck I have had around is the foster mallard a couple years ago, boy was she annoying.

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Yup, thats normal muscovy behaviour. They are very laid back. lol. They like to travel in a "gang", at least when they are young, and do like to lay in the shade all day.

3. Janie

Janie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    UK
    Yep, our 2 Aylseburys spend every minute of the day foraging for bugs n grubs.

Our muscoveys on the other hand just seem to wait for me to bring them treats!

[​IMG]

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Mine love to hang out in the shade beside their pond most of the time! Reach down and dribble in the water and take a few sips.. If the food bowl is empty they will come right up to you and tell you about it!
    They don't bother the other chickens or turkeys at all.
    When evening comes and cools down they travel around the yard in a single file and get last drink and bite to eat before going into barn....
    My muscovy ducks do not fly much at all. Especially the males they get too heavy to get off the ground!
    I think these are the nicest, most easy going ducks around!

5. Janie

Janie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    UK
    I would agree Lilchick, the aylesburys chatter so much it can drive me mad!

The muscoveys hiss & nod and squeek every now n then but its lovely soft sounds.

My babies all fly but Mr & Mrs don't.

6. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    In other words muscovies are the perfect backyard duck.[​IMG] Red my little red cochin was thinking about attacking them when they first came the ducks just looked at her and went about their checking things out. I think they are scared of my mallard decoy in the pond which is ok, I really don't need them in there.

7. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I don't think my muscovies would fly out of the pasture at all if I had some grass and shade for them in there (new house, new yard, no trees [​IMG] ) They fly over to the back end of the neighbor's yard and pick bugs out of the grass and sit in the grass for a bit most days (until the hen started sitting on her eggs. The drakes haven't left the area where she is since). Luckily, my neighbors don't seem to mind, and they are soooo much quieter than any of my other birds, never mind the other ducks.

They don't secrete as much oil, so they don't swim as much as other water birds to begin with. They may eventually try out your pond when the decoy never bothers them, but if your water dish is big enough to preen in, they may be just as happy doing that anyway.

They get along with everyone and haven't picked on my new chicks or anyone else. They're great birds--I love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by