Pics

Deku

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2017
Kissimmee, FL
Hello!
We have tons of Muscovy ducks around our apartment complex here in FL. We've been watching a mother laying on some eggs in a large potted plant near the pool side, and about a week or so later, watched her walking around with newly hatched ducklings! So cute.

A day later I noticed the mother which was in the pot was not, but, one little duckling was left behind, chirping and running itself against the side of the pot.

I'm guessing this little one hatched a day or two late and missed all the siblings leaving the nest. I went to find the mother walking around with the ducklings, but when I put the little one down, two males came up and started biting at the duckling. I got scared and picked him up, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing here!

I did some research and made the little one a warm place in a box, some shallow water, a mirror, and a little stuffed toy to cuddle against. I cant get it to eat as much as I read that ducklings eat, which is apparently a lot. But I don't have money to get him the proper feed that he'll need. So I keep trying to feed him mushed up bananas, apples, and finely chopped greens.
On day 2, he loves to swim and he's walking very well. He also loves to jump around, but im unsure if thats usual.

I was looking around for "usual duckling behavior" but I wasn't able to find anything.

I really want to give him a good home but I have no idea the first thing about this, and would appreciate some advice on how to put this little one up for adoption? Or is it possible to continue raising him like I am now?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Can you take him to where a mom has ducklings about the same size and put him down in the middle of them? Not sure how tame these scovy's are but it may work to get him in with a group. Your right not to leave him where drakes or even other preds could get him.
Tractor supply has small bags of feed for sale could you do that if putting him with others doesn't work out?
He needs to be fed either chick starter or duck starter and fresh water available always or he can choke.
He can't grind up the greens and banana apples etc because it needs grit to be able to eat that food.

Bless you for rescuing the lil one, Most look at scovy's as a nuisance I love mine they are very sweet and easy to tame.

Poor Baby....
I would try to get it back to Momma...It might be too late though?..Possibly it's already imprinted to humans so won't know to follow Momma Duck..Your doing great...It does need Feed specifically for ducklings or Chicks...Sometimes it's easier for them to eat it soupy with dry feed in a separate bowl...Also water needs to be deep enough to wash its nares and eyes out...

A member had a duckling hatch late and mama had already taken the rest outside so after a few days to make sure lil one was doing well she went out with treats distracted mama and put the lone duckling in with the rest, It waddled off with them all like it had been there all it's life. :)

Let us know what you decide on and how it goes!

I would not recommend raising the little duck by yourself in the apartment (even though he’s so cute!! And your doing a good job) House ducks- especially a Muscovy in an apartment with “wild” muscovys- just doesn’t seem ideal. If it keeps being rejected by the mama and babies perhaps find a farm nearby who would like a new addition to their family or someone who raises ducks? If you do go to Tractor Supply for some items, perhaps ask where they get their ducks from or if you could leave a “duck for adoption” sign with them. Include whatever you buy as a duck start up kit for the next owner!

You’ve done a great thing :)
Enjoy the little duckie while it’s with you!

A member had a duckling hatch late and mama had already taken the rest outside so after a few days to make sure lil one was doing well she went out with treats distracted mama and put the lone duckling in with the rest, It waddled off with them all like it had been there all it's life. :)
@Deku, welcome to BYC!
That's usually what I do, then watch to make sure the youngest can keep up.

Back
Top Bottom