Muscovy Sexing Advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rhian, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Rhian

Rhian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi all! :) This seems to be the million dollar question! I appreciate there is no definitive way of doing this over the internet but any advice I can get from those more experienced than us would be much appreciated! I've taken some varying pics to assist!

Ok we've had our 2 Muscovies for roughly 2 months now - LOVE them! They are brilliant. When we got them we had them vent sexed and went away with 2 girls, Peggy (black and white) and Dot (black). One was over a month older than the other, and the younger was smaller than the older - so far, all as it should be!

However, recently the younger seems to have had a massive growth spurt and has now outgrown and outweighs the older. (Black and White is 2.1kg to 1.8kg). We are starting to suspect that Peggy may be a Peter...

From the many hours of research we've done, we understand there are certain traits that give clues to what sex they are, and these are the differences we've noticed (I'll use their colour so you can tell which one's which in the pics!)

-Obvious size difference Black and White is longer, seems a bit taller, we think feet are bigger, the smaller also seems more "dumpy" if that makes sense)
    -Black and white seems much more gutsy and adventurous whereas black seems quite shy
    -Black got her proper feathers and flight feathers way younger than Black and White developed them (accounting for the age difference!)

The carunkling and voices are not at a stage where we can tell any definite difference yet - both are still "cheeping" although Black does sound a little "honky" (My I am coming out with some funny words today...!)

We are now looking obsessively for the differences so may be reading too much into it, but really this growth spurt was quite alarming, is it normal for younger ducks to outgrow older ones? And so quickly?!

Here are the pics... do excuse the quagmire of a garden and the state of our moulting chooks! (Got to love winter!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any advice, if what we suspect is true we obviously need to alter our plan somewhat! :D

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think you may have a pair.

Beautiful ducks! Love Mucovies.

[​IMG]
    Here is a muscovy girl I raised at 8 weeks. (2 months)

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Welcome to scovies! and excellent pictues by the way. With this pic would bet, left drake(so black n white) and duck to the right.. you can see the sizing, legs, feet overall.

[​IMG]

Some of my flocks, drake vs duck pics to help you compare.

This is Mabel and one of her brothers, so same age.. you can see the face of her feminine and her lack of size.. they are from this June for reference.

[​IMG]

My March clutch(yes, this march lol) second one from the black n white is the lone duck, the rest are all drakes. I actually still have the 3 blues.. the biggest guy i sold.

[​IMG]

4. Rhian

Rhian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Wow she's a stunner - blue eyes like Peggy! I love looking at pics of Muscovies, my new favourite hobby! Thanks for the advice! :)

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Here she is full grown, and my absolute favourite picture of her. Sadly I lost her in a fire, but she was wonderful. One day I hope to have more. I just have one lone drake that hangs with the geese.

6. Rhian

Rhian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks too Going Quackers. Beautiful birds! Thanks for your input - kind of confirmed what we were thinking, although it's such a difficult one! Guess we'll see for sure soon enough but just want to make sure we make the right provisions for a male!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep a pair and beautiful too. [​IMG] I love my drakes they are full of personality and of themselves too. LOL

8. Rhian

Rhian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Oh so sorry to hear that :( What a great pic, I can't wait until mine grow fully it is amazing watching them grow and change. Can't believe they looked like this a few weeks ago! I had grass then too... :D
    [​IMG]

9. Rhian

Rhian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks Miss Lydia! I bet they do, I read so much about their wonderful personalities which is why we picked this breed but they have totally exceeded my expectations! Amazing creatures :)

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They sure do and quick! it's a fleeting moment. I miss little fuzzies.

That was the first pair i showed you, Mabel and her one brother... they look so different today.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by