Muscovy Sexing at 8 weeks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilyD, Aug 19, 2014.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay so I think I am starting to see differences between boy and girl here but there are a few I am still not sure of. Going to post them all and see
    what you think. Please correct any you think are wrong. This is my first year with growing babies so I am trying to learn.

[​IMG]#1: Okay this is Tuxedo and he is definitely a boy since he is one of the biggest ones we have.

[​IMG] #2: Brown Drake who is the same size as the first drake. Started a bit of angel wing I think this week. I will be wrapping his wings today.

[​IMG] #2 and #3: The brown one on the right I think is a duck. Smaller than the first two with little feet but already has the start of caruncles on it's face.

[​IMG] #4: Not sure about this one. Bigger than number 3 but no caruncles yet and average size feet. Not huge but not as small as number 3 either.

[​IMG] #4 again Same duck.

[​IMG] #5: I am thinking duck because it has no caruncles but that's the only definite sign.

[​IMG] #6: Puddles definitely drake. He just exudes manliness lol.

[​IMG] #7: Blue duck I think.

[​IMG]#8: Blue Drake I think love the white on the head.

[​IMG] #9: Duck? small and feminine?

[​IMG]#10 and #11: Totally unsure. I am thinking duck but they are larger with no caruncling and small feet so they don't fit any profile. The perfect example of ducks that don't read the book.

[​IMG]#12: This is Minny and she is definitely a duck. She is tiny maybe 2 or 3 pounds still and is my resident escape artist. I can't lock her in anywhere because in the morning she will be loose again.

[​IMG] #13: Maybe duck?

[​IMG]#14: Drake sorry for the poor picture. He is large has big feet.

[​IMG] #15: So not sure. Smaller than the ones I know are male but red around the beak. Not bumped up yet but very red. Smaller feet too.

[​IMG]15 again: Another picture just because boy I can't tell.

Any thoughts would be great. I would love to learn from your experiences and thoughts. I missed someone when I took the pictures but not sure who going to have to go back out and check the pictures again lol.

[​IMG]

#16 finally found him or her. Another one I am not sure of bigger but no caruncling yet.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    No one has any ideas?

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Hard to tell without seeing them as a group.
    You will also notice that starting around this time, the females will feather faster than the males. The females will look almost all feathered while the males will still have fuzz or small/short feathers on either side of the tail.

And that one doesn't have angel wing. Some muscovy, usually drakes, get droopy wings. It's just while the blood feathers grow on the wings. It makes them heavy so they droop. But once fully feathered and grown they muscle up and are able to hold them properly. Angel wing is when the wing and feathers stick out to the side all crazy :)

4. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I thought it was angel wing because they are starting to angle out away from his body. He is huge though too and seems to be growing fastest out of all the ducks.

I will have to check their feathers by their tails to see if they have different feathers by their tails. To me other than their wings (some of them still have the clear cover over their wing feathers) they seem all feathered out every where else.

5. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barred is the female, blue is the male

6. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Notice the different feather development around the tails?

7. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    It's very clear in those two. I looked at mine but I didn't notice any real difference between the ones who I know are girl and the boys. They seem the same other than the ones I know are boys seem to have a bigger tail than the girls.

Here is a video. I tried to get them together as much as possible but some just didn't cooperate. There are 4 Khakis in the film as well.

[​IMG]

8. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    One thing too, and I've never noticed it until now and only have these 2 juvies so can't really compare yet, is that the male has a round tail (at the end) and the female has a more pointy tail. Someone else asked me about this and I told them I would check out mine this season. But these are the only 2 I've kept (the male has severe wry neck so I kept him and 1 other for a pal). The rest I've sold as ducklings so don't have any others to compare this with!

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Interesting I will have to look at the tails tomorrow since it's dark now. They are all complete characters regardless of sex. I wish I could keep them all but my husband said only 8 out of the 16. (Maybe 10 since he doesn't go out to count ;) ). I want to make sure I have a good amount of girls and maybe 2 boys. I am thinking a chocolate and blue boy over the girls.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I noticed it with wings the males don't wing feather as fast they'll show quills vs the females who fill in rather quickly. Can't say i have looked at the tails now you have me wondering lol Will peek tomorrow i have several young females this year(yay!!) and only 3 drakes so far but their 2.5 and 2mths respectively so i have plenty to compare to right now.

I was also going to say that is drooping of the wing and normal not angel wing that is straight out the side... for the first time ever i have a drakelet from my big production white and he had that but now at 2.5mths his wings are being held up but he is a BIG boy.

That is him in the back, and the duck in the front... they are now 2.5mths old this pic is of them a few weeks earlier on in this month ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by