Muscovy Sexing Pictures Here Please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Wolf Queen, Nov 20, 2009.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Im looking for Scovy keepers on here to post pics of their drakes and ducks cuz im going to get some adults and I wanna make sure I get one drake and two ducks for a trio. All pics and explaining which are which would be great. I know to look for feet, hissing or cooing and general mass size but im still doubting what I know plus when I have to catch them the females will definetly hiss becuz they will probably be irritated from being chased, so yep yep yep all pics and advice are welcome.
    Thanks, The Queen

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, being a total noob to moscovies, I got my ducklings and had to wait for them to grow a bit before I could tell them apart. the males grow bigger than the females. Now that mine are bigger, the males have more caruncling than the females do, but mine ar under a year old. The males are still bigger than the females. I heard feet size too, but I could never tell.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly.

3. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I only have 1 Muscovy and I think it is a female but that is just a guess. About half the size of my Pekin duck. Doesn't make much noise and is only 2 months old. She makes both peeping/chirping sounds and hisses when upset. When will it be more clear if its a duck or drake?

4. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Oh now that I might know. Ive heard that as they age the males can only hiss where as the females can make cooing sounds or something. By the way what is caruncling?

5. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Caruncling is the red bumpy skin on the face.

Here is a picture of my pair at about 3 months of age. Notice the Drake on the left is much larger than the hen on the right. His feet are too. Yes, the Drakes "hiss" although this is really their "quack". The hens do a kind of cooing sound. Very quiet birds.

[​IMG]

6. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
  7. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I love that thread. Its needs to be much much longer though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by