1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Sexing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckncover, Aug 15, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Quacker is 3 months and 19 days old. At what age should I expect Quacker to get her caruncle in? When will she stop growing? Also when will she get her adult voice so I can tell if she's a boy or girl? I'm still not sure. She is still peeping mostly.

[​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Muscovy aren't voiced sexed really, yes they do sound different(male vs female) but that will not get you far as the females hiss too. It's all size, drakes outsize females considerably and that difference starts being seen by 3-4wks.

So if you could do more pictures, that would be helpful. By that aging voice should start to appear, males only hiss, the females coo, trill, quack and hiss.

Here an old shot of a pair i have, you can see how big the male is compared to the female they were about 5mths old here.

[​IMG]

As for facial fleshing i find that varies and while usually males do have more than females i do not find that a reliable way to sex the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by