muscovy should be called "king dcks"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animals1981, Mar 5, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    My lord are the drakes so strong and powerful! Even the meanest game roosters dont dare get in the drakes way!

Is there any farm bird that is more dominant then an adult musccovy drake? I call mine "elvis the king"

for a 10 pound bird he has so so so much power picking him up is a nightmare i get thrown around like a ragdoll!

I didnt think a mean rooster that was full of himself would bow but when king elvis comes around all roosters bow down!

is this just with my birds are all muscovy ducks the barnyard kings?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to put Elvis lower on the poultry status chain get a goose or better yet a swan. Those are about the only birds that my Muscovy drakes move for, except me. Mine aren't much in the way of fighters for me, after all I bring the treats. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    are turkey and peafowl below geese as well?

4. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Basically except for the Sebastapols, they even get picked on by some of my chickens (but to be fair Jersey Giants are big). My peafowl are confined in pens with tops so they don't get to visit a lot of other birds. I have brooded them with turkeys but the turkeys get aggressive with the peachicks once (the turkeys) begin to approach breeding age. Last month I separated the last poults to hatch last season(Oct)from the young peafowl because the tom started mounting the hens and plucking the top knots off the boys. So I guess around here at least it goes: Swans, Embdens, Buffs, Pilgrims, Pomeranians, Chinese, Sebastapols, Turkeys, Muscovy Drakes, male Guinea fowl then Peacocks.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Around here all the birds move out of the way for the peafowl, the turkeys and geese are about the same- they pretty much leave each other alone. You are right about the Muscovy drakes they are large and powerful- I have a big scar on my arm where the claws on one cut me open better than the sharpest knife.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by