Muscovy Showed Up - Now TED is pet - needs to go in HOUSE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by echix, Nov 22, 2013.

1. outside all year - they do their own thing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I put mine up in a house - like it or not!

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    We have a large property / pond / etc. We have 17 geese, chickens, dogs, goats, cats, etc... all have their own pens and place and housing and heat and etc... My dad is 80 and lives with me so this is my fantasy but mostly the hard effort is for him.

Anywhoo.... up shows a Muscovy drake about a year ago. He was young and came from a neighbors pond no doubt a Easter duck dumped there. He was small last year and this year we know he is full adulthood and male.

So, we named him TED. My dad loves TED. TED gets more attention than anyone around here but Muscovys are so awesome anyway in character if you are smart enough to get to know one. [​IMG]

Last year it got cold, Ted sat on the pond through all the rain/cold/wind/etc. We are South of Houston but still high country and it gets below 29 here for many nights in the Winter and close to the coast that is coupled with RAIN and WIND - BAD.

So.... this year I don't want to see TED sit out there and freeze his now huge red carbuncles on his head AND everyone else has a nice house with shavings/hay and some have a constant temp of 50 degree to ward off OMW. (Old Man Winter).[​IMG]

My dad built Ted a house, nicer than mine really. I swooshed him into the pen around the house and let him take a look and check it out but Ted ABSOLUTELY --- A _ B _ S _ O _ L _ U _ T_ E _L _ Y does not like being told what to do or "swooshed" by anyone or anything. BUT we have hawks and BIG BIG River Owls at night (size of my dog Buddy) so there in lies the conundrum.

Ted check it out (probably to suit me) and then he jumped up on the fence and flew back to the pond. The wind is blowing 30 right now and it is raining and 42 dropping to 39 tonight and 34 tomorrow night with the high in the 40's all day tomorrow.[​IMG]

HELP!!!!!!!! What do I do with Ted, leave him out to freeze, I know all articles online say ducks need shelter in cold/wet/wind conditions and he had a respiratory infect when he got here (eyes foamy) that went away eventually on good feed and water but still...[​IMG]

Do I just swoooosh and lock his ***** up in that coop for the night whether he likes it or not every night until he understands it's my way or the highway... or give up and let "mother nature" do whatever...

Any advice, help, opinions, experience, or know-how is VERY VERY VERY APPRECIATED!!!!

Just trying to do right by TED..... and my dad worries about him (so do I). [​IMG] Ted deserves a awesome house out of the wind and rain with feed water and shavings and an automatic door like everyone else around here (including me but I get coffee instead of water) [​IMG]..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be swooshing. And I would feed Ted treats in the house so he associates good times with being in there.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    He sounds like quite the character! well, yes some just don't like being housed but with preds and extreme weather, one needs to take some sort of action. Can you build a pred proof pen, so he can choose to go into the housing? basically give him some control.

I put all of mine in housing at night, all that said n done i have one as of late who is a royal pain the bum.. Miss Mabel a hatch from June, i actually did leave her out once this past week because we could not get her in.

My main concern is preds not the weather, our weather is cold, i'm 28F with a windchill of 19F this morning, if well fed, they seem to sustain regular cold, snow, ice, rain and so forth.

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might try clipping one wing, but better yet get Ted a friend he really needs one to call his own, clip her wing so she stays inside this nice pen ya'll built for Ted I betcha Ted will be all over himself to get in then. Just my 2cents worth.

5. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks for all the great posts!!! The wind is howling right now and it's 41...Ted it's sitting on pond and I'm irritated. Tomorrow he goes up, like it o'er not. Wii do treats and find female too..but for now he goes up!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] they don't always know what's best for them, that's why they have us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by