1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy trying to hatch on day 29-30!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princessmama, May 8, 2009.

1. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    I candled tonight to see how my duckies were doing. Looking forward to a nice hatch next week. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw what looked like movement in the air cell of 1, 2, 3! of the eggs. A second look at all showed the third one looking like the duckling is well into the air cell. The cells on these particular eggs seem very large--like one third of the egg.

Any thoughts?

2. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    I had a "terrible" thought in the middle of the night...could my purebred muscovys actually be mules/hinnys??? That could explain the early attempt to hatch.

My temp has been between 98.8 to 100.5. Mostly in the 99 range.

Ideas anyone?

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Do you have non Muscovey drakes around?

I use to have a small flock of Muscoveys and 2 Peking hens.

My Muscovy drake did not discriminate, in fact he preferred Pekin hens, so I hatched a few mules, they grow very fast, are quackless

just like Muscovies, and their meat is GOURMET !!! No fat, plumpy and tender, the best duck meat I ever had.

4. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    These are eggs I bought and had shipped to me. I am hoping to start a flock [​IMG]

So, while i'm sure the meat would be great and the cuteness as well, I'd be pretty disappointed.

But I bought them from someone who said they are purebred and I don't have any reason to disbelieve them. I was just having wild middle-of-the-night worries.

I haven't seen any sign of an external pip yet. Does anyone know how long after an internal pip one should see the external pip?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by