Muscovy trying to sit on just 3 eggs?? Whats up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    My girls started laying about 3 weeks ago maybe. Yesterday the one started sitting on the nest. it has 3 eggs at most plus one decoy. It has been very cold the last 2 days though so could she be just protecting them?? I dont want her sitting on just 3 eggs in any case. Do i need to chase her off and take the eggs? I dont want to freak her from laying though either.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is she sitting all the time or occasionally?

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    not ALL the time but a decent amout of the time, she does comes off and away from the nest though.

4. Muscovymama

Muscovymama New Egg

Jan 10, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    My pair has 11 eggs and we've had a 'funny' winter so far. After 11 eggs were laid our nighttime temperature dropped to 7 degrees. The female wouldn't come out of her cave. We waited a day and looked inside and sure enough, she had all the down feathers in her nest. To me, this is a sign that she is finally sitting on her eggs for hatching.

I was concerned with it being so cold, so maybe yours was too and decided it was time to start sitting. Usually she lays more eggs than that.

I am new to having ducks. I live in the city and this is only my third clutch. The other two clutches hatched in the warm summer, but this one has come so early this year. I am concerned about ducklings hatching around mid March here in Michigan. My friend Keith has been guiding me and said 'just let Mama do it. She knows what she is doing!'. I am going to follow his guidance and let Mama do it all!

So...I think I would let her sit on them, or pull them for incubation. Your call.

Thank you everyone for all the information I have learned from BYC. It is fantanstic to have all this information and experience on hand.

Happy Spring to us all!

5. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    yep she has the down in the nest....now i feel bad though because I took the 3 eggs and she is sitting on the decoy now??? think I should take the decoys and she will lay again?

I want her to sit but on more than 3 preferably

6. Muscovymama

Muscovymama New Egg

Jan 10, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I'd let her go another clutch on her own. It is getting to be spring and things will come 'naturally', I'm sure! With this cold weather it would be less stressful on you rather than having them in the cold. Good luck.

Did you incubate the three eggs you pulled?

7. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    no I did not and I would prefer to wait a week or so longer........If I pull the decoy will she stop sitting?

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    ok there was another egg in the nest today......is she still laying and just keeping thje eggs warm??? another girl was laying in there as well?

She cant be sitting and laying right?

9. Muscovymama

Muscovymama New Egg

Jan 10, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    What I have found is that they lay every other day. I've also learned Muscovies lay in the morning. She's probably laying her egg and 'making the bed' to keep it tidy. I don't think she is 'sitting' on the eggs yet. I think she's concerned about the cold and is debating what to do. If she is young, she could be confused.

I would just let her run her course. Document things on a daily basis. This winter has been so different with the warm/cold temperatures being so erratic, I think our ducks are just as confused as we are!

With her putting her down on the nest already has me stunned! I would just chalk it up to inexperience of a young duck.

Prior to my girl laying her 11 eggs, she spent alot of time in the 'cave'. I thought she was planning on laying. After a week, we checked and sure enough. Then we got the down feathers and she has spent so much more time in there. She does come out about three times a day to bath and eat and preen. When it gets nearer for the eggs to hatch she may come out of the 'cave' only once a day to do her daily care. (Boy, does that early morning first poop stink!)

As I said, I'd just let her run this clutch by herself. Just monitor and document activities. Then you will have a better idea on how things go, and it will also answer alot of your own questions. We've all made mistakes, but we tend to learn from them.

I wish you the best.

10. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    I am just letting her run this show although I have no idea whats up. She (or someone) continues to lay an egg in there each day but she is sitting most of the day. She comes out for about an hour to an hour and a half each afternoon. Although I am not always here so it could be other times as well. Wondering if she is even fertile as I have not seen her with the drake in several days. Just rolling and see the outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by