Muscovy "underdog" almost never stops preening, what could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by princessmama, Jan 5, 2010.

1. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

He's been slower to mature than the others, took longer to lose his voice and still has juvy feathers.

I have only four ducks left, two drakes and two hens. This guy hangs out by himself, cleaning his feathers. He gets soaked whenever he gets in the pond. Could he be sick?

[​IMG]

The rest of the crew
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

It sounds like he might have a problem with his oil gland. He's trying to coat his feathers, to stay drier in the water.

3. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    That's what I was thinking after watching him for a while. He doesn't seem lethargic. He'll come up with the others and eat if he's not busy preening.

4. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    To me that photo appears to be of a she rather than a he. How old are they? Young Muscovy molt at about 12-14 weeks so it could be possible that (s)he's molting which could make it want to preen a bit more.

Does it have access to fresh water to bathe? Usually ducks that do have few problems with external parasites but that's something to consider.

Just by looking at the photo, (s)he appears to be in good health, the eyes are bright and clear w/o any discharge or foamy eye, the nostrils are clear w/o discharge. The feathers don't appear to be in all that bad of condition considering. The caruncling is nice and bright. Have you held the bird and is (s)he in good condition weight-wise? If you don't already, feeding BOSS helps a lot with feather condition.

5. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    I'm assuming "he" because he's lost his voice and only hisses now and the other drake chases him away. They hatched in May. They have access to two ponds and a couple buckets of water. Picked him up recently and he seems fine. Smaller than the others and thinner, but not extremely so. I know he gets chased away from the food often and we make sure to put some food off to the side for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by