1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy wing clip question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I knew that I was going to have to clip their wings soon but imagine my surprise as I was about to leave for a job interview and looked outside to see one of my Muscovy about 8-10 feet in the air FLYING across the backyard. I think I yelled HUBBA BUBBA (I'm trying not to curse too much) and ran outside in my nice interview outfit. I herded them into the duck run, locked them up, cleaned off my shoes and went to my interview.

I was thinking the culprit was the female, all I saw was lots of white wing. I had gotten some advice (today) on how to go about this alone (THANK YOU Miss Lydia). I went outside cornered her and gathered her up (finally) and managed to clip her left wing. My scissors were not sharp enough but it looked pretty good. [​IMG]

I then decided I'd try to wrangle some of the boys. That was NOT going to happen. After chasing them around for a bit in the run, I gave up. They were freaked out and I didn't want them to hurt themselves.

My question, do I NEED to clip the boys?
    They are only a few months old, have just gotten their flight feathers and are twice the females size (I'd say she is about 5 lbs).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    My 3 month old boy took off yesterday but he didn't get far off the ground so I am wondering the same thing.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yes. My MIL used to have Muscovies and they would fly across the pasture & over the top of the two story barn.

The white bars on their wings occur in both sexes and develop as the birds age. My Muscovy males who are now about 1.5 years old just got theirs during their current molt.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Oh and it's easier to do it at night if you don't have anyone to help you capture and clip them. I use an old towel to throw over them and to keep their claws away....use sharp scissors and only clip one wing.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I clipped my young drakes wing because here they can get up on the back bank and take off. from the ground I don't think he could but didn't want to take the chance.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks again Miss Lydia and thanks Rare Feather Farms. I think I'll try the towel trick. After I posted this I saw one of the males (locked up in the duck run) get a bit off the ground. [​IMG] Unfortunately, DH is out of town until Monday night and I'd feel bad leaving them locked up for that long so, tomorrow I will be rounding them up.

Its bad timing as today was the first time 2 of them ate out of my hand. They will get close but had not yet eaten out of my hand. Probably going to blow that relationship but I am not going to be able to keep all the males. I guess maybe I'll see who handles this the best and he will be the winner of staying around. [​IMG]

7. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    This is how I decided it was time to clip my muscovy hen's wings (tonight).

Look on corner of 30+ foot roof eave...

[​IMG]

Scott

1 person likes this.
  8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Ahhh. Priceless.

I went out early this morning and clipped the boys. Easier than I thought using a towel to catch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by