muscovy wings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nancylee, Oct 4, 2013.

1. nancylee

nancylee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Hi I am new duck owner to 8 silly 3 month old muscovys. I raised them from day one. They found out that they can fly so should I clip their wings. I have been watching YouTube videos. Any tips

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I would check the stickies at the top, i don't clip mine but totally depends on the situation. I do know Storey's guide to ducks gives details on how to including drawings.

It's like clipping a parrot or budgies wing, so we know how to because of that. GL!

3. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

It really depends on you and the circumstances at your place whether you need to clip them or not.
    They usually do not go astray but in case you have some areas you do not want the ducks to enter I would advise to clip them.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. nancylee

nancylee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    I am in the country, but close to a road with big trucks. I am scared a duck may fly out onto the road. Visibility is poor with trees and hills, and a lot of speeders.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Best to clip then no since an worrying about them flying across road and getting hit, They really don't pay much attention when flying off and well you can imagine if a car or truck was coming right when they decide. I live no where near a road or traffic but I don't want mine flying down to the river lots of preds just waiting .So I clip one wing.

7. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Miss Lydia, if there is a chance of them getting hit by a truck, clipping would be a good option.

8. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    I tend to clip wings in their first year as I have neighbours with a feisty GSD but have found after that they have established their boundaries and dont need to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by