1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy with a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hacharlton, Apr 9, 2011.

1. hacharlton

hacharlton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I have just noticed that one of my Muscovy ducks has a limp and I cannot say what happened. It is the black one. I have been told that it is a hen. She is in a fenced in area so nothing should have gotten to it. Can't say I have the money to take it to the vet, so hopping for help here. It is eating and drinking fine.

2. hacharlton

Oct 19, 2009
    I thought I would get some ideas from folks that might have had the same problem.
    Guess not![​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Make sure she is not being chased around by the male or any other critters. She may have just strained it and needs to rest it. Make sure the pool is filled pretty full and that she can get in it easily. if she can paddle around she can take some weight off the leg. Just keep an eye on her and hopefully she will gain strength in the leg.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    did you check the bottom for bumble foot?

5. hacharlton

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply! [​IMG]
    I just put the pool in on Sat afternoon and she was limping that morning. I have seen her swimming in the pool also. I have two females and one male and they seem to get along. They are completely screened in so no other critters can get to them. I am clueless about duck injuries!

6. hacharlton

Oct 19, 2009
    Never heard of bumble foot. I guess I need to Google it. It seems like she can not put weight on that foot. as you can see in the pic she holds it up. She kinda hops along or limps around.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  8. hacharlton

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks, I will go look

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by