Muscovy with an injured leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Narrowhaven, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Narrowhaven

Narrowhaven New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Hello bird friends! I am new to the group and new to ducks. Someone just gave me 3 muscovies (1 drake, 2 hens). One of the hens has an injured leg. She said that the person she got her from told her the duck had slipped on ice. But then when I went to pick up the ducks from my friends farm her daughter grabbed this poor girl by the legs and carried her upside down to me (to my horror...). I am sure this rough handling of the duck made the leg even worse. I have given her 2 days to settle into our pond and duck house with her tiny flock. She seems to be eating and drinking, and I have seen her in the pond once. She spends more time in the house than the others, but the weather has been cold and rainy (Ottawa, Ontario in early April). I tend toward a hands off approach, with the idea that intervening can sometimes make things worse. And because these ducks are new to us, I don't want to stress them even more than they have already been stressed with 2 moves in 3 days. I have read the threads here on broken duck legs. I haven't examined her closely (again, stress factor for her) but I have watched her closely and she isn't putting any weight on her leg at all. She just hops on her good leg when she ventures out.
    Any suggestions for best approach?
    Also wondering if it is really true that grabbing ducks by the legs and carrying them upside down is really the best way?? I find it hard to believe, but this is what they told me. I just carried them gently under my arm and they were fine (strong, but fine).
    Thanks in advance!
    I should also mention that we have chickens in a separate area and no other ducks, so the ducks are isolated without additional stressors.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new Muscovies! I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine.

Muscovy are very hardy, but your description makes me think that your new duck has a leg injury that may require some intervention. I know you're trying to avoid stressing her, but if she's not showing improvement, I'd isolate her and take a good look at her leg. Post pics?

Grabbed by the leg?? Quelle hourreur! I would not pick up any kind of poultry or waterfowl by their legs because that kind of handling could injure them. I only pick my Muscovy up (and as absolutely necessary) by holding them around their wings, pinning their powerful wings down, and then place them under my arm - like you did. A firm grip is needed, and it's not for the faint of heart. [​IMG]

Best of luck!

3. Narrowhaven

Narrowhaven New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Thank you. I have no fear of animals of any variety so I was very comfortable picking up the drake and holding him close while I transported him to the cage for the drive home. He was 100 percent calmer than the poor girls who were carried by the legs! Broke my heart to watch it! I got some pics just now as I tried to check her leg. No visible signs of injury that I can tell, but I have never looked at duck legs before.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love input from all the duck people. I want to do the right thing for her.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully just a sprain, but Duck legs are not made to be carried like that and can be injured easily. Compared to the other leg is there swelling? you could try soaking her leg in Epsom salt water but she would probably freak out being new. Maybe just giving her a few days of rest also so she isn't using the leg. Just like when we get an injury rest can be the best medicine. Keeping her enclosed in a pen where she can use maybe a kiddy pool to keep her leg muscles loose with a way in and out? It will also take pressure off the injured leg. and you could see if she can use the leg at all in water.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by