Muscovy won't abandon rotten nest!

awarmrainyday

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2014
One of my muscovies had a nest due about 10 days ago. About a week before the due date she kicked a few out of the nest that were bad. But nothing hatched and the smell coming from under the big fuel tank where her nest is at is godawful. She is still sitting on about six eggs and refuses to abandon them. She will come out to eat and drink but as soon as I get close to the fuel tank she runs back over squeaking and slips under it to her eggs. I feel just terrible for her. She has spent so much time trying to hatch some babies.

Will she eventually abandon the nest on her own? Or could I move her to a new nest? I have a nest that recently hatched and momma has moved the ducklings on from it. The nest is pretty much ready to go and I have fertilized eggs I could put in there. If I put her on the nest will she stay or will she try to go back to her rotten nest? Or should I just try to clean out under the tank and let her sulk and get over it?

I'm really not sure what went wrong with her nest! I've had two other momma's hatch out every single egg but one. So I don't really need anymore ducklings I just feel really bad for her!

Rough one.

It doesn't seem healthy for her or her eggs to be near that . . . if possible, can you candle any of the eggs left? Like when she leaves the nest can you set up some temporary fence around you and it and candle - good eggs get put into a basket to go into the new nest.

She may not go for it, but I would give a try - just block her out of that area and do what you can to get her onto the other nest.

@Miss Lydia - you have had broody Muscovies . . .

She may not go for the new nest unless it's her idea. But I would get her out or like Amiga says wait till she comes out then block it from her being able to get back in there then remove all the eggs because if there are rotten ones in the nest and they will burst open and spew bacteria all over the good eggs if there are any plus mama. If there is a way to put the good eggs from this nest in the abandoned nest and close her up with it she might take to it. Be sure to completely destroy the other nest and fix it so she can't go back . She might sulk for a while if she doesn't take to the new nest but once she goes back to laying she'll go broody again.
roll.png
If your having heat like most of the country she will need a serious break anyway.

I am pretty sure none of her eggs are any good. She started sitting about 45 days ago at this point. This morning I went out and she had her eggs strewn all around under the fuel tank and she was out by my gate. But of course when I was leaving for work she ran back under there and was standing among her mess of eggs. I may try putting her on the new nest tonight and penning her in there for the night to see if she takes to the nest. That will at least give me a chance to clean out under the fuel tank and remove her eggs. If she doesn't take to the new nest, oh well.

So she hated the new nest and promptly escaped the first chance I gave her. But in the mean time I was able to completely clean out under the fuel tank, leaves, eggs and all. She returned under the tank and sat on her "nest" on the stones. So I did what any self respecting crazy duck lady would who worries about her ducks feelings. I gave her a pile of fresh bedding and three fertilized eggs at 11 pm last night. Im sure my neighbors thought I was nuts laying in the driveway in my jammies with a flashlight. But I just checked on her and she has rearranged the bedding and is sitting on the eggs. So heres hoping it goes well for her this time!

So she hated the new nest and promptly escaped the first chance I gave her. But in the mean time I was able to completely clean out under the fuel tank, leaves, eggs and all. She returned under the tank and sat on her "nest" on the stones. So I did what any self respecting crazy duck lady would who worries about her ducks feelings. I gave her a pile of fresh bedding and three fertilized eggs at 11 pm last night. Im sure my neighbors thought I was nuts laying in the driveway in my jammies with a flashlight. But I just checked on her and she has rearranged the bedding and is sitting on the eggs. So heres hoping it goes well for her this time!
Well what we won't do for our duckies. How many Muscovy's do you have now? @awarmrainyday ? Let us know how this hatch goes.

I haven't counted lately, all of my muscovies and most of my chickens are runaways from a livestock dealer down the road. They show up on or near deaths door. I'm starting to think there is a sign somewhere directing them to me. I believe I have 25 adult muscovies, and 27 ducklings. I really need to thin the flock and find some of them good homes! I also have 20 chickens and 1 day old chick! Well 21 if you count the hen I just found laying on the side of the road. Another escapee so malnourished she couldn't walk anymore. It's taken her a few days but she's on her feet again. Never a dull moment!

I haven't counted lately, all of my muscovies and most of my chickens are runaways from a livestock dealer down the road. They show up on or near deaths door. I'm starting to think there is a sign somewhere directing them to me. I believe I have 25 adult muscovies, and 27 ducklings. I really need to thin the flock and find some of them good homes! I also have 20 chickens and 1 day old chick! Well 21 if you count the hen I just found laying on the side of the road. Another escapee so malnourished she couldn't walk anymore. It's taken her a few days but she's on her feet again. Never a dull moment!
Word gets out who loves them and cares for them. That's such a shame someone like that livestock dealer can even have animals. We got 3 of our Muscovy's females from a place very similar.

Bless you for caring for them and looks like your in the rescue business.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom