Muscovy

StaJ

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
My 2 female Muscovy ducks laid eggs 37 days ago. We candled them yesterday because we weren't sure if there was any life. All of the eggs were not viable. When we cracked them open a milky white substance came out. It looks like one egg had life but died. We are letting the girls sit on the eggs themselves, but it was cold when they started. Could that be why the eggs didn't take? We have never done this before so thank you in advance for the help.

Hi - Muscovy are usually excellent broodies, so (assuming that you have a drake that would be fertilizing the eggs ;)), it's possible that the failed hatch was from the broodies' inexperience. Do they have protection from the cold where they're nesting, and how cold were the temps? Muscovy like to dampen their feathers in the breast area and transfer that dampness to the eggs in the nest - was it too cold for them to bathe while they were sitting?

From the sound of it, the white substance in the egg may just be from the eggs rotting. It's a shame the hatch didn't work out this time - I hope your next try goes more smoothly!

It was cold, during the day it has been warmer but at night usually -3. I thought it might have been the weather. All 3 females are inexperienced, this is the first time they have sat on eggs. Hopefully they sit again, we were so excited to see the new babies.
Thanks for reply ☺️

The cold may have played a part, but my guess is it was primarily inexperience. Muscovy tend to be quite broody and will hatch other types of eggs (like chicken), too, so I think you'll have another chance at ducklings in the near future!

Back
Top Bottom