muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thekid, Jun 19, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Were could I purchase sexed muscovy ducklings?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Dunno. [​IMG]

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:?

Better question, why would want muscovys? JK, although i'm not fond of them i have a soft spot for all ducks. [​IMG]
    Might do a search over it, pretty sure this topic has come up before. Also pretty sure that your better off going local on them rather than a hatchery (pretty sure the hatchery's only sell the plane white ones, unless thats what you want????) I've been wrong before though.

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah it really doesn't matter to me what color they are lol

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Some "breeder's"/owners can tell the sexes at a young age so maybe you can find someone locally and buy from them? It never hurts to ask!

6. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    Probably the only way you can find them is to buy older ones. I have a blue female muscovy. You might already know this but muscovy drakes don't have the curled tail feather, the way you tell them apart is by the skin on their faces. [​IMG]

7. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
  8. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Untill they get some age on them you can't sex them. Im sure someone from China could, but I have never met anyone in my life that could right out of the shell. When the boys start to out grow the girls, thats when you can guess. Unless other ducks they don't quack, so you cant' shake them and "quack" them. you just let them grow.
    I have had Muscovy on and off since the 80s and I still don't get them perfectly right untill they are mature. Some of them will fool ya.

9. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I have to agree with you iajewel. Most of the time you can tell which are which by the size but occasionally there will be that one fools you.

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    This post sure makes me feel better about my lack of sexing ability [​IMG] I have about 30 ducklings and not a clue what color or sex and it's making me crazy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by