Muscovy!!

French Muscovy for the best meat. Males are 10 lbs and taste like veal. Females are 6 lbs and closer in size to Pekins. Both sexes sport massive claws.
D.gif

Seasonal layer of Jumbo White eggs. Pekins have the edge here in eggs per year but other than that this is the duck to have.

Jumbo Pekins will grow faster. I like the looks of both but I prefer the Muscovy just personal preference.

Last edited:
Oh wow, where to start!
There is so much to know about these wonderful birds!
The basics are:
They have a red comb around their faces
Males up to twice as big as females
They are one of the best brooders!
They don't quack
The males don't have the curly tail feather.
If mates with another breed of duck the ducklings will be infertile
They have an oil gland above their tail

But these are only a few of the information you can get on muscovy's.
If you google them then you will be introduced to a whole new world!
Good luck.

I love muscovies! I took a year off for some major pond renovations. Can't wait to get muscovies again! I get the white ones. They look like mini swans on my pond! Had one very aggressive drake ( other drake was cool ) that made the finest roast I've ever eaten! Good luck in your research!

Hi. This is a very broad statement. What exactly do you want to know about them?

I agree. What are you after for ducks? Purpose etc.

Muscovy are considered dual purpose(meat/eggs) they are also well known for broody qualities, good meat and documented pest control. Ducks make varied noises trills, coos, hiss and DO quack, whereas drakes only hiss/huff. The drakes outsize the ducks and they are a Roosting duck, Ducks are fantastic fliers, drakes can while young though this usually decreases as they age out and size up.

I keep mine for the purpose of eggs and pest control.

Hmmm all i will say is i don't EVER eat it.
hide.gif
I'd rather people raising their own meat to eat because the meat industry nowadays especially with chickens is very brutal and inhumane.
But I agree with you, I could never ear a pet.

In the olden days a chicken would just be killed by having it's head cut of, quite humane, but now the chickens are gassed, electrocuted, bleed etc. So raising your own meat is far more humane then what they do today...

Back
Top Bottom