1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovys and angel wings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emsevers, Feb 8, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have been asking a few questions about Muscovys lately and I found out that in my small town of about 2000 people there is a small farm with tons of Muscovys. I am going to wait until the spring and then I'm going to get some babies for like .50 cents a piece. She doesn't really keep them as a business it's more like a hobby I think so when she gets a ton of little babies around she's just trying to find places for them to go.

Anyways, a few of them had these feathers that were sticking straight out and she said they were called "angel wings." I was just wondering what these are all about. I'd never seen them before on any of the pictures on the forum and I was wondering how common they are. Is it normal?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Can you post a picture?
    Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question.

3. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I don't have any pictures. At first I thought they were hurt but then the lady said "no they're angel wings." Just pictures 2 or 3 feathers sticking straight out from their wings pointing out to the sides.

4. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I found this article

This article is not meant to be a scientific study, but only the personal observation and
    experience of one breeder.

Slipped wing, also known as angel wing, is a condition in which the extremity of the
    bird's wing, weakened by it's own weight during the early stages of the primaries'
    development, folds at an unnatural angle to the body.

The majority of Muscovy breeders have, at one time or another, been faced with this
    problem. This in turn has given rise to a variety of theories as to it's causes and
    numerous approaches to its correction. These hypothetical causes cover a wide
    spectrum of concepts ranging from the accidental stretching of the bird's
    undeveloped wing tip to the presence of problematic genes. The most popular, by
    far, seems to be the notion that the wing is deformed by the young bird's accelerated
    growth, due to an overabundance of protein in it's diet. Unfortunately, most of these
    ideas have never been verified.

5. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  6. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So do you think it could be something genetic or do you think it's more circumstantial? I don't really want to get birds with defects but at the same time they are only pets. I guess I'm not sure what to take from that. Thanks for finding that though. If you were going to buy them as pets would that be a factor that would make you decide not to get them?

7. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    That's a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    From what i've read angel wing is caused by too much protien during the growth of feathers. The feathers grow faster than the tendons in the wing can bear. So the heavy feathers cause the wings to twist out. If it's not fixed early by a vet (they do so by taping the wings down in the correct postition, this should only be done by a vet or someone with vast knowledge so they do it right and not hurt the animal), it can be permanent, thus causing the bird to not be able to fly. Since muscovies are good fliers, this can be detrimental.

Though angel wing is usually cause by too much protien, sometimes some birds just seem to get it while others don't. If all your birds are getting to much protien, not all may get angel wing. I figure that some animals are more prone to it than others. If you buy birds from someone who has animals with angel wing, your best bet is to make sure you feed the correct amount of protien during the first couple months for youe baby's life (no more than 16-19% during the first 4 weeks, and no more than 14-16% after feathering around 8-10 weeks. During the time in between, you should mix the two feeds in increasing rations. for example, the 5th week feed 4 parts starter feed at 19% to 1 part feed at 14-16%). If you'd like, i can post or PM you an indepth list on how to feed your baby ducklings. (I didn't want to just do it, since it's kinda long!)

9. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Well, it will be a while before I would get my babies. Probably spring time but I would love to have more info if you're willing. I just won't be able to put it to use for a while but I would keep if for when the time comes.

10. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:I'm no expert, and hadn't heard of this until you posted and I found article. To me, it sounds as if it is a genetic thing, making some prone to it and the protein thing is causing the genetically prone ones to develop it. If they are just pets and not going to be used for breeding, then it would be ok to have the ducks, but I wouldn't want to use them in a breeding program. Definitely interesting to check into though. Does it seem to hurt them at all? Or does it just make them able to not fly?
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by