muscovys at 8 week old

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bluep, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    how many more weeks do your think before these are ready for slaughter.how many weeks before everyone slaughters theres .
    [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Nice looking ducks. They are certainly on their way to be a great meal. I usually wait until they are at least 5 months old but that's just me. Everyone else may process earlier. I also take into consideration their weight because I want enough meat on them to have a great meal. How many do you have to process?

3. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    14 and i got 8 at 4week old as well so quite a bit of plucking to do [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:OH BOY! Do they feel meaty to you right now at 8 weeks old?

5. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011

no i think my be another 3 to 4weeks

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

no i think my be another 3 to 4weeks

Sounds good. Have you eaten duck before? How do you plan on cooking it? I'm always looking for new duck dishes/recipes.

7. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Quote:no i think my be another 3 to 4weeks

Sounds good. Have you eaten duck before? How do you plan on cooking it? I'm always looking for new duck dishes/recipes.

no i have never tried Muscovy duck before.read lots of posts saying how nice it is so i cant wait to try it i was thinking of roasting it

8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds good. Have you eaten duck before? How do you plan on cooking it? I'm always looking for new duck dishes/recipes.

no i have never tried Muscovy duck before.read lots of posts saying how nice it is so i cant wait to try it i was thinking of roasting it

Try recipes that utilize the parts separately. The breast meat is wonderful when seared to no more than med-rare, and the legs/thighs can be braised. Here is a bunch from a well-known supplier of quality duck meat, D'artagnan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  9. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Quote:no i have never tried Muscovy duck before.read lots of posts saying how nice it is so i cant wait to try it i was thinking of roasting it

Try recipes that utilize the parts separately. The breast meat is wonderful when seared to no more than med-rare, and the legs/thighs can be braised. Here is a bunch from a well-known supplier of quality duck meat, D'artagnan.

[​IMG]

thanks looks like some good recipes on there

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:no i have never tried Muscovy duck before.read lots of posts saying how nice it is so i cant wait to try it i was thinking of roasting it

[​IMG]

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by