Muscovys imprinted on me, help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lalegid, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    I helped a friend rescue some muscovy eggs last night. Their nest had been destroyed and they were starting to hatch! I got them warmed up, two hatched late last night and one is still hatching. They've imprinted on me... they're in a brooder but they keep squawking for me! Can anyone give me advice on how to raise ducklings? I've brooded chickens before but these two are different because they've imprinted so strongly. Thanks :)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would put them somewhere you can't hear them complaining, and make sure you put a lid or cover on them because they can climb pretty high under the right circumstances. After a day or so they should stop calling so much. They will make a messy brooder with the water so be prepared to clean often, and they need to drink to wash down their food. Sounds like you're going have some fun.

3. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. I will do that. I've got some fabric netting stuff around so I'll use that - they certainly clamber around a lot compared to chickens!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Ducklings look for a leader, chicks don't care, you should have some nice tame ducklings, beware of watery poop.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Ok, it's not funny to you but it's funny. [​IMG] Mom, hey Mom! Where's you go? [​IMG]
    Mom, hey Mom! Come here and snuggle me. [​IMG]
    Well at least you have some friends for life! [​IMG]

6. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Lol it is exactly like that! Yesterday I gave in and snuggled them for a bit. They crawled down my shirt and instantly fell asleep. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are adorable.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by