Muscovys in brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sooz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sooz

Sooz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    What age roughly should my muscovy ducks be taken out of the brooder. They are only a week old but seem very bored already with their surroundings. Constantly chirping. I have let them out for a wee run around the kitchen but they do not like going back in. Are ducklings hardier than chicks.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have put a new toy in the brooder every day for them to investigate. Usually a cat toy. One day a ball with a bell in it, the next day a small soft stuffed toy, the next day a hanging parrot toy, a small mirror the next day etc. I have about 8-9 toys and change them out daily (mainly to clean the nasty off). Some toys they like, some they hate, some they ignore but just a mild change in placement and their surroundings gives them some thing to do. They like to put their beaks on everything.
    I also may dig up a clump of grass with dirt still attached and give that to them, though this may not be an option for you but mine truly love it.

I do not put mine outside in a pen until they are about 4 weeks old. They are such nasty brooder babies I can't stand it by 2 weeks old!

3. Sooz

Sooz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    Thank you I am going to try this. I have started putting them outside during the day in an enclosed pen and they still cheep like mad. They are so inquisitive but cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by