Muscovys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Raenh, Nov 11, 2019.

1. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Umpf! I am a bit speechless. Have to digest this…

Texas Kiki, Duckfarmer1 and Raenh like this.
  2. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    i wouldnt want ducks in my garbage and running amuck. But its sad to think about!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Hard for me to imagine ducks in garbage.

4. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    It's not like that, really, they mostly stay to areas surround their manmade ponds that ppl get all icky about running around on the sidewalks and stepping in poo. And these are subdivisions, basically 100s of houses crammed together with maybe a corner store at the entrance that are built around a park of some sort that probably has a pond, mini lake in it.
    And ppl started dumping their ducks there and they started nesting and probably expanded their territory.

Part that gets me is that they just want to kill them, destroy the eggs, and nests - and your not allowed to consume them, you're to throw away the carcass.

I think this maybe for Florida or it might be federal... I'm to tired to triple check.

https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com/blog/muscovy-ducks/

Controlling Muscovy duck populations might involve administering contraception to the ducks, addling their eggs (treating them with certain substances or removing them from their nests so they won’t hatch) or even going so far as to euthanize the ducks. Addling and contraception are considered more humane population control methods than euthanization, even when the ducks are humanely euthanized.

It is illegal to treat Muscovy ducks cruelly, so harming them, their eggs or their nests in any way that does not comply with current regulations is a federal crime. It is also illegal to relocate these ducks, including releasing them into the wild; this is partly because Muscovy ducks have too much potential for interbreeding with other duck species or transmitting diseases to them.

5. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    My muscovy would never go into someone's garbage, but it has feed 24/7. She's a sweetheart too, if someone shot her there would be consequences if I found out. I'm glad she stays on my property with the Pekins, but she can fly over the fence. She usually just roams the yard or sits on the roof of the house.

I wish I was closer to this area, I'd catch as many as I could and bring them home to live a good life with my ducks.

6. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    I wish I had more room.

But they're not letting you catch them to keep them either unless you are relocating them to one of the 3 counties that they are protected in. They want you to just kill them AND not feed them... :/

7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    My ducks grab plastic bags full of apple peels my mother in law brings...so I guess I could see that sort of thing...maybe..once in a blue moon....but...why can’t they just catch the ducks...and rehome them...we all know plenty of people who would take them...besides how can they think it’s safe to let people go running around in a neighborhood with a firearm of any kind....this makes my stomach turn...I love my slow.moving. Extremely tame Muscovy ducks...I would take these ducks in a heartbeat..taking 7 muscovies on Saturday....

8. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    That's sad. I honestly don't think people should be running around with firearms in developments either!

I wish people would stop dumping ducks at ponds and causing these issues. Just another thing that's ruining it for everyone else!

We have turkey vultures that go in our trash... I'd never think about shooting them. They're hungry, so I let them eat and clean up after them.

Telling people to not feed the ducks is just going to cause even more issues. I'd be the person who puts lbs of duck feed in my yard to attract them to stop people from touching them.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Sad part is it's humans fault to begin with. When I give away ducks eggs Muscovy or my Runner I always shake them real good so I Know no one is going to hatch them and maybe eventually dump them somewhere. I only give away eggs for eating. In Ocala Florida one year they round up all the Muscovy ducks at a park and killed them all, rescue groups wanted to come in but they wouldn't let them. My Muscovy drake doesn't even mate with my Mallard derived ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: